Wednesday, November 22, 2017

November 21, 2017

email to Mom:



Wow! What a week for us too! We’ve had some ups and downs, but it has been great. 

First off, Elder F.  and I are getting along much better now. 
Something that has helped us to bond is basketball. I am not a huge fan of playing basketball as you know. Mostly because I stink at playing. Like really bad. But, he loves basketball, and so we play every pday. I’ve improved a little bit, but as we’ve done that, what it’s mostly done is help us to develop a better relationship. Which is good. Transfers are next week! We will figure out this Friday or Saturday what is happening. I am curious to see what will happen. I hope that I will stay here in Rawlins and train a new missionary, but I don’t know. It would be sweet. 

I have been trying to work harder than ever before. We spend at least 1 hour tracting every day, if not 2. Elder F. does not like tracting, but he is warming up to it. I’ll post our tracting records in the photoshare so you guys can see what we’ve been doing. We’ve also contacted all but about 30 of the less actives. Lots of work, which makes me feel good. I hope we see miracles from it. 

This week as we were contacting some less actives, we contacted into this lady. I’ll write the conversation here so you can see just how ridiculous it was. 

Her: “I’m Pagan, honey. Oh, you don’t know what that means?”
Us: “It could mean a lot of different things...”
Her: “Google it.”
Us: “Shrug”

She went on and on and on... 

Her: “Give me an hour. I can prove that Jesus Christ never existed...”
Us: *raises eyebrows* “Uh-huh, sure.” 
Her: “Jesus was an idea stolen from the Greeks. He’s Hercules!”
Us: “okay...”
Her: “Do you need any more proof?”
Me, in my mind. 
“Dude, if Jesus Christ has been taught to Adam since the beginning of time, how was Jesus stolen from Hercules?” 

If she could’ve read my mind, she would’ve been like 
“Whaaaa?”

Then she asked us if we believed that Joseph Smith really translated the Book of Mormon. I said that I did. 

Her: “Awww I feel so sorry for you guys. It’s pathetic, really. How can I get my records removed?”
Us: “The feeling is mutual. Can we get your number to give it to the Bishop?”

Maybe not the most Christ-like thing to say, but she said a lot of other ridiculous things that I don’t even have time to mention. She was even crazier than the UFO lady. Seriously. She was trying to make us as uncomfortable as possible, saying suggestive things and smoking a cigarette, but she wasn’t attractive at all, especially because she was missing like 12 teeth. We only saw like 5 teeth. So it was just ridiculous. We got her number so the Bishop could call her and then left. That was probably one of the most ridiculous conversations I have had with someone, including a conversation we had earlier this week with a Catholic.

He invited us in to his home to proceed to try and bash with us. We were polite and just bore our testimonies and left. But here was his argument. Which was ridiculous. 

So if someone is holding the priesthood and is unworthy to hold the priesthood, what happens to his priesthood? He asked us this question and we said that the guy who holds the priesthood is then unworthy to use it and should not perform ordinances and also is not authorized to be a leader. His argument was that it is technically impossible to know if someone is worthy or not, so it doesn’t matter. If they were ordained to the priesthood, then they are permanently ordained to the priesthood and always authorized to use it. 

However, this argument is dumb, because he is referencing the guy who started the Catholic Church, an excommunicated priest, who then gathered followers when the Apostles were killed. This guy’s name was Linus, and he was excommunicated because he worshipped an idol by lighting a candle to it and praying to it, and then trying to get other people to do so as well. Does that not sound like the Catholic Church? Let’s light candles to saints and pray to them instead of to God. But don’t worry, our authority is still valid, because it can’t be taken away. 

*shakes head*

Sorry about that, but I guess that just gives you a picture of how our week was. You run into a lot of crazies while tracting. 

As far as Thanksgiving goes, I believe we have 3 meals. Maybe 4. We will definitely be well fed. I will talk some more about the people we are teaching in my email to Dad. Love you Mom! 

I am so grateful for you. I really appreciate your list of grateful - fors because it helps me remember to be thankful all the time and not just at Thanksgiving. It’s also a long list, which reminds me that there are a lot of things to be grateful for. Love you!!!

Elder Bush

PS You’re in my prayers. I think of you and the Savior when I think of how to get through rough times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment