Monday, July 17, 2017

July 17, 2017









This week has been crazy, filled with lots of meetings and traveling!
The theme of our zone conferences this week was the Book of Mormon,
and we were encouraged to bear our testimony of the Book of Mormon in
our weekly this week.

But first, quick update on the work here in Windsor. We are trying our
hardest to contact ALL the less active families in the Windsor Ward.
There is about 200 households, so that's a piece of work. It has been
awesome so far though, and has led to some teaching opportunities.
Hopefully I will have exciting things to share in coming weeks. I am
doing better at keeping a record this time too, so now we will have
something to leave to the missionaries who follow us.

That being said, there are only a couple of things that I love to talk
about more than I love to talk about the Book of Mormon. There are two
main reasons for that:

1. It's true.
2. (And this one is a little longer.)
Because the Book of Mormon is the word of God, it has great converting
power in it! As I read the Book of Mormon, my faith in Christ is
strengthened, and so my ability to repent increases as well! The Book
of Mormon inspires me to sacrifice my weapons of rebellion to show God
that I love Him.
I know that it will do the same for all of you as well. Read the Book
of Mormon every day!
Every day.
Every day.
Every day.

If you do that, you will come closer to Jesus Christ than you can imagine.

Sorry if that came off as preachy, but I just love the Book of Mormon.
It is amazing. It will change your life, if it hasn't already. And if
it has already changed your life, it will continue to change you as
you dive deeper and deeper into its pages.


Lots of appropriate affection
Elder Bush

Picture: our zone in front of the temple 😂
👌👍








Email to mom:

I am so excited for Reuben! I think that's a wonderful goal: to try and make sure it's his decision and not just something he does because everyone expects him to do. Here's an idea: the full time missionaries can still teach him the lessons before his baptism and extend all the commitments to him before he gets baptized. 
Or, (I like this idea better) 
You guys learn the lessons and teach them to him! 
But you would probably know better what would be most effective. Maybe you feel more like it is his decision when the missionaries come instead of you guys. Idk. 
The commitments in those lessons will help him realize and be fully prepared. Also, as you're preparing him for baptism, D&C 20:37 is the qualifications for baptism. Amazing. 
I'm going to use that with my kids when I grow up for sure. 

I think what best prepared me for college from our school was being able to learn by myself and know that if I ever had any questions, I could go to you guys. With math that didn't work out too well, but I am now prepared to go to college and teach myself all these things again. I have forgotten so much on my mission! The other day I heard the word "exponents" for the first time in almost 18 months, and it took me a good 15 seconds to remember what exponents were! 

So yeah. I will have to reteach myself a few things when I get home, but I have full confidence that I can because you taught me how to teach myself. That is the best skill you can help them learn, by far. As far as asking questions and being effective at teaching, I think you should read PMG chapter 10! Amazing chapter, and these principles can be applied to teaching anything, not just the gospel! The section about asking questions is wonderful too. 

Something I have learned this week...
There was a lot from Zone conferences too. Our theme was the Book of Mormon. I love that book. 

This was my favorite insight. Read this from D&C 84:

46 And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.

47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father.

52 And whoso receiveth not my voice is not acquainted with my voice, and is not of me

How do we hear the voice of the Savior while here on earth? 

The voice of the Savior is the still, small voice. Any prompting or impression from the Spirit is the voice of the Savior inviting us to follow Him and to follow His Father! 

John 10:27 

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me

That whole chapter about following the voice of the Savior is super enlightening. 
But we also learn that if we want to hear the voice of the Savior, aka, the Spirit, there is no better place to go than in the Book of Mormon! Those who read the Book of Mormon and hear the voice of the Savior are the elect who are humble enough to be led into the fold of God. 

The scripture does not say 
"The sheep who are convinced that my fold is the best fold"
Or
"The sheep that follow the other sheep around them"

The best way, and in fact the only way to bring sheep into the fold of God is to help them hear the voice of the Spirit. What is the best way we can do that? We have to give them His words, so they can hear His voice, so they can be encircled in the arms of His love. Give them the Book of Mormon and get them to read it! Read it with them! Do whatever you have to do to help them hear and recognize His voice. 

This is the key to missionary work. There is no other/better way to do this.

I love the Book of Mormon. It is so purely the words of Christ. The words of Christ will always lead us safely home to our Heavenly Father. 

This same principle is also applicable to not just investigators, but it can be applied in families and in church callings. 

Man, I just love the gospel.

I love you mom! You are so amazing! I'm so excited to hug you in February!

Love,  
Elder Bush







No comments:

Post a Comment